What is offered?
- The University of Kansas will fully fund students to conduct intensive language study domestically in Japanese and Russian languages on the KU campus. Courses will be 8 weeks in length and will include 160 classroom instruction hours covering semesters 1 and 2 of the language. Tutors are provided.
- The University of Kansas will fully fund students with at least one semester* of Arabic to study abroad in Morocco. The KU Summer Program in Arabic is conducted jointly with Al-Akhawayn University (Ifrane, Morocco). It lasts for 8 weeks, provides 160 hours of classroom instruction, plus additional education experiences including excursions to culturally relevant sites. Students are housed in dormitories on campus.
- The University of Kansas will fully fund students with at least one semester* of Portuguese to study abroad in Brazil. The KU Summer Program in Portuguese lasts for 8 weeks, provides 150 hours of instruction, plus additional education experiences including excursions to other relevant sites. Students are housed with a host family for the duration of their stay.
- Conversation partners / tutors will be available both during the summer and academic sessions to support language maintenance and development.
- Students studying internationally will participate in a series of pre-departure orientations leading up to program travel.
- Students studying domestically participate in an on-site program orientation as well cultural activities sponsored by Project GO.
Why should you apply?
- The University of Kansas will give you the academic level of education and support outside the classroom that is needed to reach the national Project GO outcomes for language learning.
- KU has a long history of academic excellence.
- KU serves all branches of the military in its various ROTC programs.
- Lawrence, Kansas is consistently rated as one of the top college towns to live in in the United States.
- The experience learning a foreign language will give you an additional skill as you pursue your career in the US military.
*Students with excellent academic and leadership records may be considered for study abroad without previous language learning experience.