What is offered?
- The University of Kansas will fully fund students to conduct intensive language study domestically in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Russian languages on the KU campus. Courses will be 8 weeks in length and will include 160 classroom instruction hours covering semesters 1 and 2 of the language. Tutors are provided.
- The University of Kansas will fully fund students with at least one semester* of Arabic to study abroad in Morocco. The KU Summer Program in Arabic is conducted jointly with Al-Akhawayn University (Ifrane, Morocco). It lasts for 8 weeks, provides 160 hours of classroom instruction, plus additional education experiences including excursions to culturally relevant sites. Students are housed in dormitories on campus.
- The University of Kansas will fully fund students with at least one semester* of Hindi to study abroad in India. The KU Summer Program in Hindi is conducted jointly with Landour Language School (Landour, India), one of the oldest institutes teaching Hindi to foreigners in India. It lasts for 6 weeks, provides 160 hours of instruction (classroom and tutoring combined) and takes students for a one week expedition for learning about culture by attending the International Convention and other culturally relevant sites. Students are housed in the nearby guesthouse La Villa Bethany. Click here for photos from past trips.
- Conversation partners / tutors will be available during the academic sessions to support language maintenance and development.
- Orientation at our campus or abroad is offered (and mandatory).
- Students studying domestically will also have the chance to participate in group activities sponsored by Project GO.
Why should you apply?
- The University of Kansas will give you the academic level of education and support outside the classroom that is needed to reach the national Project GO outcomes for language learning.
- KU has a long history of academic excellence.
- KU serves all branches of the military in its various ROTC programs.
- Lawrence, Kansas is consistently rated as one of the top college towns to live in in the United States.
- The experience learning a foreign language will give you an additional skill as you pursue your career in the US military.
*Students with excellent academic and leadership records may be considered for study abroad without previous language learning experience.